March post by: Patient Advocate Summer Katz, M.A., NCC, LMHC
Walking outside this morning left me with a bit of an unexpected chill. While I had heard the weather report saying there would be another cool front coming through, I’d gotten used to that perfect mid-70s weather. So, I started my day with a bit of unanticipated frustration, but realized that it was only a temporary weather dip. Then I began to think about the springtime; that beautiful time of year when the outdoors begins to liven up again.
Oh, I can’t wait! Do you have any plans for the upcoming spring season? Sometimes, it can break up the daunting routine to live vicariously through even the hypothetical future adventures. Well, if you are reading this and beginning to feel a little down for not having any spring plans– how about joining us and attending a local cystic fibrosis event?
I am excited to share information about three upcoming fundraising events:
1. Third Annual More Than Just Miles 5k for CF – 4/16 Ormond Beach
2. Great Strides for CF Walk – 4/23 Orlando
3. Family-Friendly Fundraiser at Pi Pizza – 4/9 Lake Mary
1. The More Than Just Me Foundation (MTJM) is hosting its greatly anticipated third annual 5k and Cystic Fibrosis Pharmacy is again, one of the sponsors! It will be held on Saturday, April 16, 2016 at Andy Romano Beachfront Park located at 839 S. Atlantic Avenue, Ormond Beach, FL 32176. Race package pick up begins at 7:30 a.m. The walk/run starts at 9:00 a.m. & ends around noon.
There are already well over 200 registrants! The MTJM foundation is run mainly by a group of volunteers whom are passionate about raising awareness and money for a cure for cystic fibrosis.
Event FB page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1560697077514636/
2. The next April event, the Great Strides for CF Walk-Orlando will take place at Harbor Park on Lake Baldwin in Orlando on Saturday, April 23 with check-in at 8:00 a.m. The walk (a little over three miles around the lake) begins at 9:00 a.m. Cystic Fibrosis & Freedom Pharmacies are proud local sponsors of this event as well!
Our pharmacies will have an exhibit tent with lots of supportive information and free goodies, plus we’re hosting a walk team, which you’re invited to join! If you’re able to walk with our team, you’ll receive one of our great team shirts and if you raise $100 or more, you’ll get a beautiful Great Strides t-shirt as well (see below)! Register here to walk or donate: https://fightcf.cff.org/goto/CysticFibrosisPharm
Plus, there’s a lot more prizes available as your donations grow! Here’s the full list of prizes: https://fightcf.cff.org/site/PageServer?pagename=gs_prizes
If you cannot join the team, you are welcome to come out to cheer us on (meet at the Cystic Fibrosis Pharmacy tent & introduce yourselves when you arrive). We’re asking everyone to please consider making a donation to one of our team members at the link above. Every donation helps!
3. One of the fun things that will be happening in preparation for the Great Strides CF Walk will be a “Family Fun Day” at Pi Pizza. Now, who doesn’t love pizza?! The Cystic Fibrosis Pharmacy will be holding the Saturday fundraiser on April 9 at Pi Pizza located at 4235 W. Lake Mary Blvd., Lake Mary, FL 32746.
Event Details: https://familyfundayatpipizza.passioncff.org/
You are invited to join us from 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m., where you can enjoy some delicious food, great company, a professional ventriloquist and lots of fun! The kids will even have a chance to make their own, free, Pi pizzas! The Cystic Fibrosis Pharmacy will be pre-selling tickets at $7.50 for a very large slice of pizza (feeds two!) & two beers or a soda.
A portion of the sales, as well as a percentage of profits received during the pizza fund-raising event, will go directly to our walk team (which of course will go right back to supporting CF research and advancements through the CF Foundation). Call us today at 407-898-4427 ext. 1401 to buy your tickets & join us at the event!
I am very excited to see that there are numerous cystic fibrosis events coming up this spring. I believe that these CF gatherings and supportive fundraisers that continue to welcome the participation of CF families and caregivers are answering the call of support that so many of us have requested. The results should yield lots of great karma. After all, it’s like that karmic saying, “What goes around, comes around.”
I hope that this spring brings lots of good karma to all of us and as we continue to juggle the medical regimen, we will feel supported, acknowledged and know that we have this whole community available to us to advocate for each of our needs.
Summer Katz, M.A., NCC, LMHC
Licensed Mental Health Counselor
*Disclaimer: This blog is provided for informational purposes only (including brief topic exploration or reflection) and should not be used as a substitute for professional mental health or medical treatment.